Tuesday 8 June 2010

Where my "greatness" lays

"Only God could come back from the dead to clarify Thomas doubts. And only a God of love would come back for a doubter. The big news of the Bible is not that you love God, but that He loves you! He says your name is engraved on the palm of His hand. His thoughts of you outnumber the grains of the sand on the beach. He sees the worst in you, yet still believes the best. Yours sins of yesterday and your failings in the future don't surprise Him; He knows them all. Every day and every deed of your life has passed before His eyes and been calculated in His decision. He knows you better than you know yourself. And He's reached His verdict: I LOVE YOU!
No discovery about you will disillusion Him, no rebellion dissuade Him. He loves you with an unfailing love and that knowledge can lift you, restore and put you back on your feet." Bob Gass

Do you remember when we were teenagers and we were looking into the future full of hope with all these ideas of how great we'll become in this life? Perhaps we thought to ourselves "I'll do something amazing. People will know about me." Then the years pass and we follow a career path or worse we end up in a dead end job. Of course you can always move on to something else, but that's not my point here. My point is that the more time passes, the more I realise, my "greatness" in this life will not be because of my job, because I am not my job. No matter how good you are at your job and how much it fulfills you, guess what, in a best case scenario you'll end up happily retired. And then what?

My "greatness" will not be my house, my car, my money, because I am very much conscious I leave all these behind and I am not even bothered about them. Would I want a nicer house and car, more money? Yes. Am I upset that I don't have them? No. Let me ask you something, which perhaps you're not particularly interested in asking yourself. If your end is tomorrow, of what use was that house, car, money to you? What will it say on your gravestone: "Here lays Joe Blog. He had a nice car, and he partied his little socks off." Is that it? Is that why you're waisting away in a job trying to put up with the expenses?

I don't even know if I'll do something remarkable in this world, because I tell you what, au contrair to popular belief, this Christian is not trying to save the world. You know why? They don't care to be saved. For those of you who feel like quoting Romans 10:14 at me, please don't be naive. Everybody heard of God Channel and they don't seem to be impressed. I'll share my treasure with those who want to see it.

God knows me and my future. He knows me better than I know myself. He only created one like me with my name, my face, my past, present and future. Do you know where my "greatness" lays? It's in learning everyday to love this Amazing God and understand how much He loves me. I spent the last two days at work asking myself "Where am I going with this?" I realised it really doesn't matter that I don't know for now, because there is something far greater than my position, my postcode or my bank account- I am Emanuela, daughter of the Almighty God, and greatness by this worlds standards is not what I'm aiming for.

"Your love,
God, is my song, and I'll sing it! I'm forever telling everyone how faithful you are. I'll never quit telling the story of your love." Psalm 89:1, The Message Bible




I've got this story in my heart
And its become my song
And I can't help but sing
The cynics and the saints
The famous and unnamed
One day we will all fall before You
But I'm gonna bow today

Jesus, You are so wonderful
I cannot live without Your love
Jesus, You are so glorious
No one can move me like You do
I love being loved by You
I love being loved by You

So take me deeper still
Where Your mysteries are revealed
And I see You as You are
Oh, show me how to die
'Til all that's left of me
Is a mirror of everything You are
And I come before You complete

Who am I that You would notice me?
Who am I that You would think of me?
I stand in awe of Your amazing love
Who am I that You would rescue me?
Who am I that You would die?

His Emma.

1 comment: