Saturday 12 June 2010

Letters to self



Bat Melech has this habit which I also picked up because I think it's great. At the beginning of every year she writes herself a letter, which she only opens on 31 December. It is unbelievable what letters to self do in your life. Not only you see that many things you ask God, He is happy to give, but you also realise how much you change in a year if you give that year of your life to Him. I write letters to myself all the time, first because humans have the bad habit of forgetting. I realised it's not Him not doing "anything" in my life, it's me forgetting what He does. I don't ever want to forget. The second reason I write letters to myself is because I realised the best way to stand up is by encouraging and challenging yourself in the Lord, just as King David did. Below is one the letters I wrote to Emma :-). It's a bit of a peep talk I give myself in hard times. I started writing it after I read something in "Word for today", by Bob Gass:


"Letter to Emma (5th October 2009)

  1. You can't justify quiting, Emma, because God is on your side and He doesn't quit on you. What are you going to tell Him at the end? If you would turn around and say it was to hard, all He has to do is point to the holes in His hands. Do you really want to look that stupid on that day? If you're tired go to Him and rest, but don't you give up. That's not an option for you.
  2. When you can't be faithful, He will remain faithful because He can't deny Himself (2 Timothy 2:13). Faithfulness is His nature. Part of Who He is. Stop focusing on how unfaithful you are and focus on how faithful He is . Soon enough you will learn faithfulness, because you will see His love and loyalty and this will draw you to Him.
  3. He doesn't owe you an explanation but He promised a way out. You might be in a close intimate relationship with Him, but remember who is God in this relationship.
  4. He works everything for your own good. Absolutely everything, no matter how things look like. He brings something out of nothing, Emma. When you stop believing this, you will stop trusting Him and then become an easy target. Remember "God puts peaks and pits together and out comes your good" (Bob Gass). How come He doesn't use only peaks? Guess how strong you would be when hard times come along. If a seaside resort would be the only "training ground" for a soldier, how strong would that soldier be when it's time to go to war? To only expect peaks form God, is as naive and stupid as something Chris (Bat Melech) told me the other day. It is as if you would think you know everything there is to know about a bear because you read in a children's book that a bear likes honey and its cuddable. Fine, if that's how you want to see and know a bear, but good luck in the forest when you meet one.
  5. You are not alone in this. Please understand that the greatest Power in the universe loves you and wants you to succeed. He just wants to make you stand and walk on your own two feet, after you realise you love Him and want to be with Him. "If you hang on to Him for dear life, He will get you out of any trouble." (Psalm 91:14, TM) You lived all your life in a fake world that was pulled over your real eyes to blind you from who you truly are. You have habits and "values" that have got nothing to do with Him. He wants to show you a better world. A world of freedom. Where circumstances, pretenses, fear, doubt, worry cannot control you anymore. Do you even realise, Emma how crazy it is to fight with Him all the way and turn against Him, just because you can't see what He's doing? If you would see a blind man fighting his guide all the way and telling him that the path he chose can't be the right one, you would think the blind man not well in the head. That's you, Emma when you fight God just because you can't see:
"I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them." (Isaiah 42:16)"

Shabbat Shalom to you all.

Emanuela



Come to me all who are weary
And I will give you rest
Come to me all who are weary
And I will give you rest

Lay you head down
On my shoulders
Be still my child
Rest a while

CHORUS:
And I'll quiet you with My love
Rejoice over You
With My song
With My song

And I'll quiet you with My love
Rejoice over You
With My song
With My song

Come to me all who are weary
And take My yoke upon you
Come to me all who are weary
My burden is easy and light

Lay you head down
On my shoulders
Be still my child
Rest a while

No comments:

Post a Comment