Wednesday 16 June 2010

Father God vs Mother Nature

"I thought you would call Me 'Father' and not turn away from following Me." Jeremiah 3:19b

"Then I will return to My place until they admit their guilt and turn to Me. For as soon as trouble comes, they will earnestly search for Me.” Hosea 5:15

God doesn't want anyone to perish. He will warn, love and meet you at crossroads in your life, all along the way. I am convinced every human that ever walked this earth had encounters with Him along their journey. Nobody will be able to say at the end "You were not fair with me, God. I did not have the same chances she had. Of course she followed you, because she knew you. What chances did I have? The only picture of you I ever saw was that of an old angry man with beard. You scared me, that's why I didn't follow."

Things will happen to you along the way which will bring you to that moment, where you either turn towards Him and acknowledge Him, or you will carry on with your life because you know better than to believe in fairytales like those naives who fall for everything and need their faith like a walking stick in order to actually make it in this life. I mean, what's all this stuff with "look around you to all that is created and you will see the majesty of God"? It's just mother nature and it's got nothing to do with God creating something.

Fine, you go ahead with your mother and I will follow my Father. I guess we'll just have to see at the end who made the right choice. All I can say is that I can't witness for mother nature, because she never came when I called. She never saw my hopelessness when I began to ask myself "Is this it?", she never chased away my fears and love me so much as to make me want to give my best to her. But I called God when I had nothing to do with Him, when I too, saw Him like and angry old man with beard, and He answered and changed me forever. I got to that point and so will you if you haven't already. Everyone meets Him at some point, but not all appreciate Him. He goes to everybody and gives them chances. You know how I know that, because He started by going to the first assassin in human history, even though He knew the assassin will end up killing anyway: "If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it." (Genesis 4:7)
This is the advice God gave to Cain after he got angry because God rejected his sacrifice and accepted the sacrifice of Abel, his brother. Why did God reject Cain's sacrifice? Because God told humans how to approach Him after they betrayed His trust. Abel obeyed, Cain thought he knew better than God. I love the verse above and is one of the verses I quote to myself. I love it because God sounds like a Father teaching his son how to do good. What strikes me every time is the fact that God knew Cain will kill Abel, but in His love and mercy, He wanted to warn Cain anyway.
"Fine, but if He loved Cain and had mercy on him, how come He didn't stop him?" Because He gave us free will. The same free will that gives this world the choice to reject Him. To stop Cain would've meant to step over his will. It is the same reason He doesn't stop us from killing each other. All He does is protect us if we ask for it. That's how He decided to create us at the beginning, and no matter how much some believe this, God doesn't change the rules: "God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?" Numbers 23:19
God warned Cain, but he didn't seem to notice what God said to him, it all went over his head. So Cain started by getting angry and ended up killing his brother, despite God's warning. However, God did not kill him. Just as He doesn't destroy us today, even though we have the same "I know better" attitude. He carries on being a Father to one fatherless generation after another, without the majority of the fatherless ever giving Him a second thought...

"Torah begins and ends with kindness: God clothing Adam and Eve and burying Moses" Rabbi Simlai

Abba's girl

1 comment: