Saturday 14 August 2010

If I'm holy how about I live that way


"Don't let the wise brag of their wisdom. Don't let heroes brag of their exploits. Don't let the rich brag of their riches. If you brag, brag of this and this only.That you understand and know Me. I'm God, and I act in loyal love. I do what's right and set things right and fair, and delight in those who do the same things.These are my trademarks." (Jeremiah 9:23-24, TM)
"There is only one happiness: to please Him. Only one sorrow, to be displeasing to Him..." Thomas Merton

"Living for God alone involves a radical reorientation, a stripping away of anything that might lure me from the primary goal of pleasing God. Living in faith involves me pleasing God, far more than God pleasing me." Philip Yancey- Reaching for the invisible God

I have been through a difficult time in my life for the last couple of months, never much fun, but always good for lessons. I feel I am slowly coming out, and because He knows me so well, it feels almost as if He's distracting me. Like I stare in one direction aimlessly and He puts His hand on my face and turns my eyes towards something else. And the discovery of this makes me love Him even more. I feel like He gave me a mission:-) "Stop focusing on what you can't handle, Emma, and focus on living a holy life."

Now, we all seem to cringe a little bit when we hear the word "holy", as if looking at this unreachable target. Some of us don't even bother because "Jesus made me holy, by dying for me", others try so hard on their own that they end up quitting. But still, all across our Bible ("old and new") He tells us "Be holy, for I am Holy." “What a thing to focus on when you come out of the pit of depression, Emma...”
Perhaps. But if not now then when? After all, this is what I am called to do in my journey- Seek God and live for Him as if I would see Him. It's called a life of faith: "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him." (Hebrews 11:6)

For those who don't even bother, "because Jesus made them holy"- you're absolutely right. It's called justification and it gives us free access to God The Father, through Jesus- the Lamb that was sacrificed for our sins once and for all. But after we were justified we have to follow Him and obey His commandments: "Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." (Matthew 28:18-20)
This is the life of faith and holiness He called us to live based on which we will receive our reward and it's called sanctification: "But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy. "Since you call on a Father who judges each man's work impartially, live your lives as strangers here in reverent fear. For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect." (1 Peter 1:15-19)

For those who tried so hard on their own and did not make it- you are already accepted by Him, so stop focusing on that and start living for Him.

How do I live holy? It's hard to make a list without turning it into something that would kill someone’s spirit. Every person's relationship with God is unique, because we are unique (Chris, please note I did not say "special" :-)) So we still have to live this uniqueness because that's what's beautiful about us, but at the same time there are some things which are common sense and we should keep in mind. Such as it will not just happen, I have to be intentional about it. I have this rule where I force myself to do something I don't want to do, every day, so that I learn discipline and self-control (ex. I am tired coming from work and I vacuum today and not leave it for tomorrow or I really want to just chill out and watch TV, but I feel this prompting in my heart to go and seek God, so I switch off the TV). These are examples of being intentional and until they become a habit, I have to force myself to do them, because they don't come natural to me. I do it because I want to live for Him not for me, and if I am not disciplined enough today to switch off the TV, how will I be disciplined enough tomorrow to give up something that sounds amazing but it's not God's will for my live. Pastor Rob Prokop says the little things we do build up momentum for the great things that will come along. And I agree with him, because in the Parable of talents (Matthew 25), the master (the Lord) tells the good servant: "His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!" (Matthew 25:21)

And this verse brings me to my point. I know it's hard to live for God when a whole world tells you that you don't need Him that we are self-sufficient and we are gods ourselves. It's hard when you're in a pit, and like my sister said once on her blog, you're eyes are lying to you by showing you a false image of God. One reflected through your circumstances, as some pair of wrong glasses which show you a distorted image of something you know very well.” But it's in hard times that we have to remember why we are here. It's not about here and now, it's not about us. It's about Him and living a life that's pleasing in His sight. I still can't explain God, and after all I have been through these months, all I have seen in the lives of my dear ones, I am the last to give advice. That's not what I am doing here. What I am hoping is to maybe be daring enough to do for you what He did for me- put my hand on your faces and turn your eyes to Him. It doesn't matter that we don't see Him, we all know He's here.

"When you reach wilderness, Emma, breath and close your eyes. If you're still breathing it means He didn't go anywhere. And if your eyes don't help you anymore, at least don't allow them to lie to you." My sister, Cristina Pop (Bat Melech)


No comments:

Post a Comment