Saturday 8 May 2010

Overcoming the world



"A 90 years old widow, moved in an elderly centre because she couldn't see anymore. In the elevator, the nurse began to describe to her the room she will live in. The widow exclaimed: "I like it very much!" " But you've not even seen it yet", said the nurse. "It doesn't matter", the widow answered. "Happiness is something you decide before. Whether I like it or not, does not depend on the way the furniture is arranged, but it depends on the way the things are "arranged" in my mind, and that's why I decided that I already like it. Every morning when I wake up, I could think with bitterness about the parts on my body that no longer work, or I can thank God for those that I still use. Every day is a gift, so as long as I still breath, I will focus on the the blessings of every day, and on all the wonderful memories that I deposited in my soul."

I read this story for the first time in 2005, and I realised back then that I still have a long way to go, at least when it came to my attitude to life. I am not saying I grew up in the best circumstances, but then again, it's up to us what we make of this experience and how much we get out of it. I was thinking back then: "If I reach 90 and I have this mind set by then... I won! Because I stood until the end and I overcame life not the other way around."

What does it mean to overcome the world? I am not a theologian, but I am a seeker and I am obsessed to find God in everything around me. I think to overcome the world is "to be in the world, but not of this world" (John 17:14-16) This is what Yeshua prayed for us, before He went all the way and paid the price. I guess it means to live here, but not allow the things you go through to narrow your perspective and make you only focus on the "now".

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the wold." (John 16:33)

He didn't promise us stars only to offer us sand, he told us the way to the stars is through sand. If someone warns you in advance "Look, in 3 months time there's going to be a severe lack of food and water", you would make provisions, wouldn't you? You would do something about it. Yeshua warned us in advance: "Look, in this world you will have troubles, but..."

When I read Etty Hillesum's life story it changed mine. She was a Jewish girl from Holland, who ended up dead in Aushwitz, as so many of them did. But what makes Etty unique is the way she died and her journey until she got there. She decided her destiny was to go with her own so she refused to run or hide. She knew her death was quickly approaching and she decided to get ready for it. She decided she will not go down like a victim of this life. She started "decorating" her soul with everything that was beautiful and amazing about this world and about humans and she took that with her in the concentration camp and eventually in her death. In looking for beauty around her, Etty discovered God and God became Etty's everything. This girl prepared for what was ahead of her and when she finally left, she took with her everything that makes us and this world amazing: beauty, love, sacrifice, refusal to hate...

Yeshua said: "Take heart! I have overcome the world" For a long time I thought He said "I have overcome the world on your behalf" and to a certain extent He did. But, I think the main thing He says here is: "Take heart! I did, and I overcame. I came, refused to give up and I made it!" He knew why He came and out of love for me, He refused to give up.

So, I'll take heart. I might not understand why or how or when? But He gave me this beautiful gift called life and when I'll go, I want my soul to be full to overflowing with everything that's beautiful about this place. I'll give Yeshua a beautiful soul, one that will bring a smile on His face. For 21 years of my life I asked God why I was alive, for the rest of my years I'll thank Him that I am.


Emanuela

No comments:

Post a Comment